Calculation of Report Card Average
The Credit hour system is used for the calculation of grades. For example, Henry James has the following results for semester I of 2009-2010.
|Subject||Grade x||Credit Hours = Total Points Obtained|
|Int. Science||80 x||4||=||320|
|Social Studies||78 x||4||=||312|
|Rel. Studies||95 x||2||=||190|
|P.E.||92 x ___1____||=||____92_____|
|Total Points Obtained ÷ Total Credit Hours = Semester Average|
|2,867 ÷ 36 = 79.63|
The average is rounded to one decimal point. i.e. 79.6
The same process is repeated for Semester II and yearly grades.
To qualify for promotion, a student:
– Must pass English and Mathematics
– Must not fail two majors
– Must not fail more than two subjects
– Must obtain an overall average equal to or greater than 60%
To qualify for graduation, a student:
– Must have met promotion criteria
– Must do 40 hours of community service at either 3rd or 4th Form and 1 hour of service at the school
– Must be in compliance with all rules and regulations of Independence High School
– Must attend Parents’ Appreciation Night
– Must have attended our institution for a minimum of three years to qualify for any of the top three positions ie. Valedictorian, Salutatorian or Vote of Thanks.
– In the event there is a known pregnancy or a student is parenting a child, he/she is not allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies
– is expected to comply with all graduation requirements. (Attending marching practice, use of proper dress code, attending singing practice.)
– is required to uphold a strong value system indicative of a respectable citizen
Honor Roll recognition is given to students who achieve an Average of 80% or above at the end of each semester.